It is may and my last post was February. It seems that I'm descending from one per month to one per quarter. When I'm gone and you have only memories and these letters that might be sparse. I could argue that I'm investing in the memories, but how much do you remember being 9, 5, and 4 months?
Do I tell you about the last 3 months, as a log of the stories of your life and how very much they have meant to me? I could.
I can tell you about today, who you are, who I rejoice to see you as. I could.
I could tell you about tomorrow.
Begin with the end in mind. It is one of the 7 habits of highly effective people.
I have discovered that I have a list of things, for which I would be proud of you for the rest of your life. There are trends in them, of hard work, commitment, excellence, being part of something bigger than yourself.
Here are some of the items:
- Eagle scout - scouting is for boys and girls now. I can't tell you how very much I want to teach you camping, fishing, and outdoors skills. I don't know how to do that here, like I did in Arizona.
- Run a marathon - like your mathmommy. It puts you in the top 1% of fitness in the world.
- Pilots license - be a pilot.
- Blackbelt in a martial discipline
- Engineering (or capable science) degree
- Know the bible well, Love Jesus, and walk as a disciple of Jesus for your lifetime, and teach your kids to do the same.
- Graduating high school any time between age .. now and age 14. Making good stride that way. I hope to start studying with you for SAT soon. I figure that if we can get you into college then the folks who want to use "public" "education" to rob you of your minds, your nobility, and your excellence will be forced to shut up, to some degree.
- Earning a college degree (including bachelor, associates, master, or PhD) before age 18.
- Fields medal, nobel prize, or any significant technical award.
- Being published in high caliber technical journal/s before age 18. You can keep up after, if you like as well.
- Save/invest/earn enough to retire, then don't touch it until retirement age.
- Being able to give your kids an inheritance such that some substantial part of it can also be given to their kids. I am in debt enough that outside of education and character, I have no substance to give you, and I wish better for you and for your kids.
- Become a master of something, or a "doctor"'. I'm not saying medical, but I mean it in the ancient philosophical form: a profound healer and advancer of the field. Be a master - head and shoulders better than the average person at something hard, something noble, something worth doing with your hands, something that takes hard work and results in a creation of tangible value.
These are terrible things. Devastating. Never do them.
- Never murder a child. This includes abortion. I am adopting, and right at half my friends have done the same. Don't buy the political hate that says folks don't care after the child is born - I care deeply. Just as I have cared deeply for you, I would care deeply for any child God puts in my care.
- Never become addicted to drugs. Meth. Opiates. Acid. X. None of it. If you are a slave, I will not be able to respect you. I will think of the profound brokenness of your auto Beta and I will be filled with both sorrow and disgust. I get enraged, shaking angry, at the smell of marijuana. There have been more than enough drunks in our bloodline to fill up the quota for all of time, do not do it. Do not be owned by drugs. Not by sugar, chocolate, or anything else. Don't be owned - you are not property. It devalues and destroys humanity.
- Never be a prostitute or stripper. Never. My piece of human fecal matter of a male chromosome donor loves and solicits those professions. Thousands of fathers have visited those instead of caring for their children. They are an anathema. You cannot love me and do that at the same time. I can't not see it as hate. Nothing in the world will destroy your capacity to receive love, or even detect it, like that - it will break you deeply. It destroys families.
- Don't marry a God-hater. Don't marry someone like Chad Thibideau, who used the appearance of godliness to abuse his wife, and who caused profound harm to the church. Wolves in sheep's clothing are predators, don't marry those. Don't marry an anti-theist. Don't marry someone who does not walk daily and deeply in the commands of Jesus. You should know and live the commands, and you should not be surgically bonded in heart, soul, and life, to someone who does not have that. It will deeply wound me, and it will deeply harm you and your kids.
- Don't waste your amazing talent and potential to become nothing. You are gold, do not become a reverse-Midas touch to yourself and turn the gold/treasure that who you are and what you can become is into a pile of manure. The world will try to do that on its own, don't help it. Don't let sloth turn you to nothing.
I love you deeply. I am proud of who you are, and who you are becoming. God keep you. God keep you.